Taro Cake (Chinese Wu Tao Gou)
A twist on a classic and delicious for the whole family.
Ingredients:4 pouches Taro,Pumpkin,Lotus Seed Blend
113 g Regular Rice Flour (Non-glutinous)
1 cup Chicken/Vegetable Stock (For Flour Mix)
10 Dried Shrimp
2 Dried Mushroom (Medium-sized)
1 Clove Garlic
1/2 cup Boiled Water (For Mixing With Taro,Pumpkin,Lotus Seed Blend)
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil or neutral oil of choice
1 Whole Piece Green Onion
1 Red Chilli
1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
Additional Flavours (optional)
1 Lap Cheung (Chinese Sausage)
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
Salt, Sugar, White Pepper (To Taste)
1. Wash and rehydrate dried shrimp and dried mushrooms in a bowl with warm water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop ingredients. Mince the lap cheung and garlic into small pieces. When the dried shrimp and mushroom is fully rehydrated, strain and chop them into very fine pieces as well.
3. In another bowl, mix the taro pumpkin lotus blend with hot water to soften.
4. Prepare flour mixture. In a bowl, combine rice flour and stock together until evenly mixed.
5. Heat up on medium-high heat a medium-size pot, add vegetable oil. Cook garlic, ginger, shrimp, lap cheung and mushrooms until slightly golden brown and crispy.
6. Lower heat, pour the taro mixture into the pot, add oyster sauce and white pepper. Season with additional salt and sugar to taste.
7. Add flour mixture. Stir the mix until a dough-like consistency achieved. Mixture should have a consistency similar to mashed potatoes. Remove from heat.
8. Coat the plate that you'll be using to steam the Taro cake with a little bit of vegetable oil. Transfer taro mix into the prepared plate and steam for about 20-25 minutes. To check if the taro cake is ready, a tooth pick inserted should come out clean.
9. Once Taro cake is cooked, let cool at room temperature. To serve, garnish with toasted sesame seeds, fried shallots, chopped green onions and sliced red chilli.
Pan-fried Taro Cake
(Optional) After the taro cake is cooled, cut taro cake into desired cut and pan fry until crispy and golden brown on each side. Do this by adding 2 tablespoons of oil to a non stick pan on medium-high heat.