Thunder 'Tea' Rice (Chinese Lei Cha Fan)
Sweetness, savouriness and freshness never tasted so good! This dish is loaded with vegetables and all the delicious toppings.
600g white rice/brown rice
900g water (for cooking rice)
¼ vegetable oil or neutral oil
16 garlic cloves
500g long beans
500g white cabbage
300g chey sim
300G kai lan
400g firm bean curd (tau kwa)
200g roasted cashews/peanuts (optional, depending on your little one's allergies)
Coriander leaves, for garnish
Thunder Tea Soup:3 pouches of Zucchini, Pea, Mint Blend
1/2 cup chicken/vegetable stock
40g coriander leaves or simply a good handful
60g thai basil leaves
2 Tbsp peanut butter/tahini/sesame paste
Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
1.Wash and cook rice in a rice cooker or pot.
2. Separately wash and chop long beans, cabbage, chey sim and kai lan. Peel and mince the garlic cloves.
3. In a sauté pan, starting with medium heat, add about 2 tbsp of oil and 4 tbsp of minced garlic. Stir fry long beans for 1-2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat these steps for the white cabbage, chey sim and kai lan.
4. Drain any excess water from the bean curd and chop it into bite-size cubes. Shallow fry or deep fry bean curd until it turns crispy and golden brown. Drain the bean curd cubes and set it aside.
5. In a saucepan, starting with low heat, combine zucchini pea mint blend, chicken/vegetable stock, chopped coriander, basil, peanut butter/tahini/sesame paste. Mix until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Once the tea soup is warm remove from the heat.
6. To assemble the dish together, in a bowl, add your rice, cooked vegetables, bean curd cubes and toasted nuts. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with the warm tea soup.